One of the most examples of monastic architecture of the 13th century and by far the most important Romanesque building in the southern of Tuscany near Montalcino.
The church we see today was built around 1100 and took the place of an older 9th century abbey, of which little is left.
Until the 14th century it was an important spiritual, economic and cultural centre, often in conflict with the Republic of Siena.
The refined architectural elements
recall a decorative richness with French influences.